Cristiano Ronaldo wins Golden Foot award – a gong Lionel Messi has never picked up
The 35-year-old has been named as the 18th recipient of the prestigious trophy that can only be won once during a player’s career.
To be in contention for the award – that was introduced in 2003 for Europe’s standout performers – footballers must be at least 28 years of age.
The winners are then invited to leave a mould of their footprints on the ‘The Champions Promenade’ in Monaco.
Ten players are shortlisted for the trophy by international journalists, with the general public then voting for their winner in an online poll.
And it is Ronaldo that received the most votes from fans across the world after he finished the 2019/20 season with 37 goals in 46 games.
Ronaldo has been in fine form this term too having found the back of the net nine times in just seven outings for the Old Lady.
Along with Ronaldo, Messi, Lewandowski, Neymar, Mohamed Salah, Sergio Ramos, Gerard Pique, Sergio Aguero, Giorgio Chiellini and Arturo Vidal were all nominated.
It seems incredible that Ronaldo – who has won the Champions League and Ballon d’Or five times each – has never won the Golden Foot before.
And the fact that Messi has never claimed the trophy remains a mystery with the two dominating football for well over a decade.
Winners of the Prestigious Golden Foot award
- 2003 – Roberto Baggio – Brescia
- 2004 – Pavel Nedved – Juventus
- 2005 – Andriy Shevchenko – AC Milan
- 2006 – Ronaldo – Real Madrid
- 2007 – Alessandro Del Piero – Juventus
- 2008 – Roberto Carlos – Fenerbahce
- 2009 – Ronaldinho – AC Milan
- 2010 – Francesco Totti – Roma
- 2011 – Ryan Giggs – Manchester United
- 2012 – Zlatan Ibrahimovic – Paris Saint-Germain
- 2013 – Didier Drogba – Galatasaray
- 2014 – Andres Iniesta – Barcelona
- 2015 – Samuel Eto’o – Antalyaspor
- 2016 – Gianluigi Buffon – Juventus
- 2017 – Iker Casillas – Porto
- 2018 – Edinson Cavani – Paris Saint-Germain
- 2019 – Luka Modric – Real Madrid
- 2020 – Cristiano Ronaldo – Juventus